Photo Assignment #2: Still Life

For the next photo assignment, I chose to take still life photography. I took all of these photos in my closet, using a black piece of fabric as my background. I chose the subject matter because I wanted to evoke the imagery of a puppet, but I didn't have, so I used a wooden artist's mannequin instead.  I chose to keep the pictures simple and plain because I though that made them look more creepy and surreal. 
 
Best Photo
Aperture: f/3.5    Shutter Speed: 1/30    ISO: 100

I made a few edits in order to improve the quality of all these photos. I made adjustments to the brightness and contrast so that the photos looked "crisper." In addition, I slightly adjusted the levels to make the background appear completely black.

5 Runner-Ups






The main thing I learned from this assignment was how to set up a photo shoot. Using tape, black fabric, and a spotlight, I took all these photos in my closet. While the results aren't perfect, I think they're still impressive for what I was working with. However, the assignment also made me realize how difficult it is to shoot on this scale. Because my set was so small, my angle and perspective were highly limited. I often found myself unable to shoot from the angle I wanted because I went beyond my set. For my next assignment, I want to shoot outside so I have more freedom.

Comments

  1. I really like these pictures! The lighting is amazing, and I especially love the chess pieces. You staged this very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy how simple your photo is. The colors are mostly neutral, with the pop of red is really nice. I like the whole black background and the highlight on the subjects, it really makes them pop. One thing I would have done differently, is I would have had the subjects on a surface, not just hanging, my original thought was that it was hung, it took some more investigation into the photo to see that that was not the case.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts